Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Genre/Form:||Criticism, interpretation, etc|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
|Description:||xx, 172 pages ; 22 cm|
|Contents:||Genesis and the challenges of the nineteenth century : science, biblical criticism, and biblical archeology --
When was Genesis written? --
Stories of origins from Israel's neighbors --
Israel and primordial time --
Paul's Adam and the Old Testament --
Paul as an ancient interpreter of the Old Testament --
Paul's Adam --
Adam today : nine theses.
"Can Christianity and evolution coexist? Traditional Christian teaching presents Jesus as reversing the effects of the fall of Adam. However, an evolutionary view of beginnings doesn't allow for a historical Adam, making evolution seem incompatible with what Genesis and the apostle Paul say about him. For Christians who accept evolution and want to take the Bible seriously, this presents a tension that endangers faith. Peter Enns offers a way forward by explaining how this tension is caused not by the discoveries of science but by false expectations about the biblical texts. Focusing on key biblical passages in the discussion, Enns demonstrates that the author of Genesis and the apostle Paul wrote to ask and answer ancient questions for ancient people; the fact that they both speak of Adam does not determine whether Christians can accept evolution. This thought-provoking book reconciles the teachings of the Bible with the widely held evolutionary view of beginnings and will appeal to anyone interested in the Christianity-evolution debate, including college and seminary students in science and religion courses."--Publisher description.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Bible. -- Genesis -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- Bible. -- Old Testament -- Criticism, interpretation, etc.
- Bible. -- Epistles of Paul -- Theology.
- Theological anthropology -- Biblical teaching.
- Bible. -- Epistles of Paul - Theology.
- Theological Anthropology -- Biblical Teaching.
- Bible. -- Genesis - Criticism, Interpretation, etc.
- Bible. -- Epistles of Paul.
- Bible. -- Genesis.
- Bible. -- Old Testament.
User lists with this item (5)
- reasearch(2 items)
by weatherman_08 updated 2015-01-26
- Things to Check Out(29 items)
by chaseroden updated 2013-07-26
- Livros de Sistematica(393 items)
by joao.aquino updated 2012-10-09
- Covenant College - thesis books(49 items)
by rolandcmiv updated 2012-07-07
- Contemporary Theological Issues(6 items)
by email@example.com updated 2012-05-15