Getting this item's online copy...
Find a copy in the library
Getting this item's location and availability...
Find it in libraries globally
|Material Type:||Internet resource|
|Document Type:||Book, Internet Resource|
|All Authors / Contributors:||
Nancy M Petry
|ISBN:||1591471737 9781591471738 9781433811777 1433811774|
|Description:||x, 417 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.|
|Contents:||1. Foundations for understanding. Introduction --
Terminology, prevalence rates, and types of gambling --
2. Etiology. Demographic correlates --
Comorbidity of disordered gambling and other psychiatric disorders --
Neurobiology and genetics --
3. Research on interventions. Pharmacotherapies --
Recovery without professional interventions --
Therapy for families and significant others --
Psychoanalytic and psychodynamic treatments --
Early behavioral treatments --
Cognitive biases and cognitive therapy --
4. A treatment model. Cognitive-behavioral therapy --
Brief and motivational interventions --
5. Conclusions. Prevention: focus on gambling in youth and young adults --
|Responsibility:||Nancy M. Petry.|
"Pathological Gambling: Etiology, Comorbidity, and Treatment examines the prevalence and consequences of problem gambling as well as approaches to treatment. In this comprehensive book, Petry clarifies the current understanding of gambling as a disorder, including its levels of intensity; possible origins in biological, neurological, developmental, and environmental spheres; and special issues surrounding populations that seem to be more susceptible to problem gambling, including youth, ethnic minorities, and those with comorbid affective disorders such as depression. The author reviews treatments commonly used for pathological gambling as well as nonprofessionally guided interventions such as Gamblers Anonymous."--Jacket.
Retrieving notes about this item
- Compulsive gambling.
- Gambling -- psychology.
- Impulse Control Disorders -- epidemiology.
- Impulse Control Disorders -- etiology.
- Impulse Control Disorders -- therapy.
- Psychotherapy -- methods.
- Jeux de hasard -- Comportement compulsif.
- Jeux de hasard -- Comportement compulsif -- Étiologie.
- Jeux de hasard -- Comportement compulsif -- Traitement.
- Jeux de hasard -- Comportement compulsif -- Prévention.